Salty caramel between a crispy vanilla crust layer and a soft decadent topping of raw chocolate ganache! This is the ultimate treat to bring for a get together with friends!
Raw Caramel bites recipe
12 x 8 inch form (30 x 20 cm) makes 15 generous bites. Time: 30 min. Freeze Time: 1 h
- 1,5 cups cashews
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 4 dates
- pinch salt
- 4 tbsp buckwheat
Salty date caramel filling
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp almond butter (roasted will give you much more of a caramel flavor)
- 25 dates (about 1-1,5 cups)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp salt (less if you're using salted tahini & nut butter)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or agave
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- Process all ingredients (except the buckwheat) for the crust in a food processor. When the crust if form-able, add the buckwheat by hand and really make sure to spread it evenly. Form a flat crust in the bottom of your pan. Use a square pan with a removable bottom, if possible, otherwise make sure to line the pan with baking paper to be able to remove the cake when finished.
- Blend the Salty date caramel filling in a food processor, use dates that are juicy and soft preferably medjool dates. Spread the salty caramel on top of the crust.
- Make the chocolate ganache in a food processor or a high speed blender. Spread the ganache evenly on top of the caramel. Move to freezer to set for 1 hour.
This is a fantastic vegan version without unhealthy dairy products and white sugar. It is one of my absolute favorite treats, and actually one of the first recipes I ever made! I will not call these caramel slices healthy since I believe that "healthy" should only be a label for things that one can eat each and every day! So to be clear I do not recommend anyone eating caramel slices everyday! haha! ;P But, occasionally, instead of eating regular sweets I prefer the more unrefined versions like these. It's actually extremely delicious and free from gluten and dairy.
It all starts with the salty caramel. If you haven't tried it, you haven't lived!
These bites are so simple to make! They're crunchy, creamy, rich, decadent, chocolate-y, caramel-y, perfectly salty and sweet and intensely satisfying!
"Love chocolate, hate waste!"
For those of you who care about sharp edges, I always cut of a little less than half an inch from the edges around the cake before cutting it up to smaller pieces. This makes it look real smooth and neat! Of course that will leave you with some "waste" but that will also make room for some creativity!
I put the remainings in the freezer for about 30 minutes to really make it workable and then I rolled small balls that I dipped in raw chocolate, Voila! Now we have Caramel bite sized pops!
Just make sure to use raw tempered chocolate (not the chocolate ganache) so that you'll be able to take the pops with your finger without getting all sticky... The ganache is soft while the tempered chocolate will create something more like a praline!