You have to try this vegan chocolate & dulce de leche fudge! Good fats from coconut & cacao. Swirled together with a sweet tahini fudge!
There's a new vegan product in Sweden! Condensed coconut milk! Hurray! This is probably not new to those of you living in the US but here in Stockholm this is pretty awesome news! In this post I'm going to show you how you can make sweetened condensed coconut milk at home. I'm also going to talk you through the differences between condensed milk and caramelized milk.
If you try condensed coconut milk just as it is, then I would say that it is quite far from the "traditional" condensed milk or dulce de leche which means sweet milk in Spanish. But different isn't bad, it still has a nice round caramel flavor and delicious caramel sauce like consistency!
Traditional dulce de leche is prepared by boiling cow's milk and sugar on low heat for a long time.
Now to the difference between condensed milk and caramelized milk.
There's one product that is white/cream colored and is called condensed milk, leche condensado, in Spanish. Then there's another product with a caramel brown color with a thicker texture, this is caramelized milk, which in Spanish is called dulce de leche. The only difference between these two products is that the light one is boiled shorter time than the dark one. So, in step one you get condensed milk (the water has evaporated) when you cook it further, you'll get caramelized milk.
Now that that's straighten out, let me show you how easily you can make these two products at home! All vegan of course! All you need is coconut milk and some maple syrup.
Why maple syrup?
Maple syrup is the liquid sweetener that fits this recipe best. It has a natural caramel-like taste. If you use for example agave syrup instead it would get overly sweet. There is more liquid in maple syrup than in ex. agave or honey, which means that you need to cook it a little longer, but once it's done you get a very deep delicious taste.
Condensed & Caramelized Milk
Time: 70-120 minutes, yields about: 1.5 dl condensed milk & 1 dl caramelized milk
- 1 can of coconut milk (plain canned coconut milk with or without gums)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (alternatively coconut syrup or coconut sugar)
- Stir the ingredients together in a saucepan.
- Let the liquid boil slowly on medium heat (not at 6 but rather 3 to 4 if you have a stove running from 1-6) and as soon as you notice it starts to boil, lower the heat to low heat (on my stove it will be 1an-2an).
- Simmer for low heat for about 60-70 minutes to get condensed milk. Be sure to stir every now and then (every 5 minutes).
- If you want to make caramelized milk (dulce de leche) then let the liquid boil for another 30-50 minutes and you can also raise the temperature a little.
Tip * If you want to try to make both products you can double the recipe and then pour over 1/3 of the liquid into a glass jar after 50 minutes and allow the rest to cook further.
Store the condensed milk in airtight glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. The caramelized milk lasts for several weeks.
Chocolate & Dulce de Leche Fudge
- 1/2 cup condensed coconut milk
- 2/3 cups cacao butter
- 1/4 cup coconut butter (creamed coconut)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp coconut butter
- 3 tbsp cacao butter
- 2 tsp agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Time: 25 minutes. Yields: 16 generous fudge bites
- Use two saucepans, add all the ingredients to the two different blends in each saucepan.
- Melt all the ingredients in the saucepans on low heat until it's liquid.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a mold with baking paper.
- Pour the tahini mixture in uneven spots over the chocolate layer and take a toothpick or chopstick to make swirls.
- Put the fudge mixture it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes or until the fudge solidifies.
- You're all done! Cut smaller pieces with a sharp knife and enjoy! Store it in the freezer for longer shelf life. It will last in the fridge for about 1 week. :)
This fudge is so crazy yummy that it's hard to stop eating! It completely melts in your mouth and tastes like the perfect combination between sweet and salty! Plenty of chocolate and caramel flavor!