Maybe not the prettiest cinnamon buns in the world but oh so delicious! The best thing about them is that they're free from egg, dairy, gluten & sugar!
Gluten free cardamom dough
(makes 16-20 small cinnamon buns) Time: 1,5h.
- 14g of Active dried yeast or 50g of compressed fresh yeast
- 2 cup water
- 3 tbsp psyllium husks or psyllium powder
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1,5 cups coconut flour
- 0,5 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp cardamom
- 3-4 tbsp coconut oil
- any plant based milk for brushing the buns
- 1,5 cup dates (approximately 20-25 dates)
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp coconut butter
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Dissolve the yeast in the water. Mix in psyllium husk and let it set for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the flours and knead the dough thoroughly. Add the oil at the very end and work the dough with your hands. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces and roll out the dough flat, approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Blend the ingredients for the cinnamon filling in a high speed blender or food processor until very smooth.
- Spread the cinnamon date paste evenly on the dough and roll the dough to a log. Cut 2 inches thick buns and put them on an oven tray.
- Brush the buns with plant-based milk and sprinkle with puffed quinoa (optional).
- Bake the buns at 200°C or 390°F for approximately 10-15 minutes. Depending on the size of the buns.
- Let the buns cool before serving. They might seem mushy or doughy at first but they need 10-20 minutes too cool before serving.
I made the original recipe for these buns around this time last year. This updated version has only a few small changes, more cinnamon, more cardamom and more cinnamon date-paste to make them even juicier and yummier! Hope you like! <3
Is a raw chef and recipe developer at Happy Health blog. She work as a raw food pastry chef, recipe developer, food stylist, photographer and personal chef.