Millet porridge is a healthy way to start your day. If you are looking for a warming and filling breakfast, this vegan, gluten free porridge, is it!
I won't write a super long post about why you should eat millet, because honestly, I don't know a whole lot about it. I'm usually eating regular oatmeal whenever I eat porridge but recently I've started to eat warm porridge EVERY(!!) morning and therefore feel the need to mix things up a little. :P What I do know is that millet is a great source of magnesium and phosphorus, responsible for repairing body tissue and rebuilding cells in the body. It also taste wonderful, kinda like if rice, quinoa and potato would have a baby!
Blueberry & millet porridge with cinnamon pan seared banana
Time: 20 minutes, Yields: 2 medium portions
- 0,5 cup millet
- 1,5 cups oat milk or your choice of plant-based milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon and/or cardamom
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 banana + cinnamon and some vegan butter
- an extra splash of oat milk, nuts, seeds, granola, berries... Whatever toppings you prefer
- Rinse the millet, then place in a small pot with the milk, spices, blueberries and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in the vegan butter and a little extra milk if needed to make it creamy.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, add some vegan butter and melt. Add the cinnamon and stir to combine. Add the banana and cook until a light caramel forms. About 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with your fave toppings. (I used 2 dried figs, 1 tbsp almond butter, seed granola, cashew yogurt and the pan seared banana)
I know that this breakfast bowl looks really luxurious. But the fact is that it doesn't take more than 15-20 minutes to make it! One thing that I always keep ready in my kitchen is homemade granola. If you wanna make one too I can really recommend this one.
Is a raw chef and recipe developer at Happy Health blog. She work as a raw food pastry chef, recipe developer, food stylist, photographer and personal chef.